Myrtle Beach resort pays $26 million after 3-year-old boy suffered chemical burns in pool

0

A Myrtle Beach resort has agreed to pay $26 million to the family of a 6-year-old boy who suffered chemical burns while swimming in the hotel’s lazy river.

Britten Resorts and its insurance companies agreed to pay for the Fed’s dismissal A lawsuit filed by the family in 2021 And to avoid an upcoming jury trial, according to a news release from Trial Lawyers for Justice, one of the law firms representing the family.

Alicia Noel Bolyard, an attorney representing Brittain Resorts, declined to comment on Jan. 29.

“I feel relieved that justice has been served for my son who endured unimaginable pain and suffering. No amount of money can erase the trauma he and my family went through, or erase the lasting scars, but “This victory provides accountability and, most importantly, closure and protection for other children.” “I hope this serves as a wake-up call for all resorts to prioritize the safety of their guests, especially children, so that no other child or family has to endure such a horrific ordeal.”

The injuries were the result of chemical burns from a swimming pool Caribbean Resort and Villas, 3000 N. Ocean Boulevard. The pool had dangerously high levels of chlorine. A North Carolina family was on vacation in Myrtle Beach over Memorial Day in 2020 and stayed at the resort.

The infection resulted in the closure of two of the resort’s swimming pools, in addition to the arrest of the pool operator on charges of falsifying pool records.

The lawsuit alleged that the pool’s chlorine level records submitted to state regulators had been falsified for years, according to the release.

According to the DHEC report, two separate tests of the lazy river and spa at the Caribbean Resort that day showed chlorine levels greater than 10. The tests also showed that the pH level in the lazy river was at 8.10, which is greater than the state’s regulatory range. From 7 to 7.8. DHEC has closed both facilities until corrections are made.

State law requires chlorine levels to be less than 8 ppm.

In March, DHEC’s Criminal Investigation Bureau arrested Juan Arocho Rivera on forgery charges for falsifying the chlorine and pH levels written on inspection records for the resort’s swimming pools. Rivera was working as a pool operator at the Caribbean Resort and Spa, according to the arrest warrant.

The boy, who was 3 years old at the time, suffered serious physical and psychological injuries to the groin area, the suit said.

The child was injured after swimming in the lazy river with his family members. The family noticed the burns after returning home from vacation, according to the statement. His mother, Heather Douglas, discovered the burns after the boy began screaming and crying uncontrollably, and she noticed redness around the groin area. Over the course of several hours, the burns worsened. Douglas took the boy to a doctor, and he was eventually admitted to the University of North Carolina Burn Center where he was treated for chemical burns, the statement said.

The family then contacted the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control, which checked the chemical levels in the resort’s pool.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.