A woman says she was trapped in the gondola of a California snow resort for 15 hours


An investigation is underway after a visitor said she was stranded in a snow resort gondola overnight in South Lake Tahoe, California.

Monica Lasso was at Heavenly Mountain Resort with friends on Thursday when she felt tired and asked a worker to direct the gondola that would take her to the base, she said in an interview with an NBC affiliate. KCRA Sacramento.

She said the operator guided her to the gondola, with a few minutes to spare before 5 p.m., but when she entered and began her journey, the gondola stopped, leaving her stranded for 15 hours.

She didn’t have her phone, so she screamed for help, but there was no response, she told the station.

“I screamed so hard I lost my voice,” Laso said.

Meanwhile, her friends reported her missing to the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office. Lasso said she was safe on the ground again when the gondola started up again Friday morning.

“I felt very frustrated,” she told KCRA.

Temperatures in the area were in the mid-20s at night, according to National Weather Service data. Lasso said she kept warm by rubbing her hands and feet together.

Firefighters reached the woman in the morning and contacted her agency, Kim George, fire chief with the South Lake Tahoe Fire Rescue Department, said via email.

First responders from the South Lake Tahoe Department responded to the gondola base at 8:28 a.m., George said. She added that Laso’s condition “was evaluated and his transfer was refused.”

Tom Fortune, vice president and chief operating officer, said Heavenly Mountain Resort is investigating what happened. “The safety and well-being of our guests is our top priority at Heavenly Mountain Resort,” he said in a statement.

The 2.4-mile gondola is typically scheduled to run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., according to the resort’s website and the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority website. It was not clear why it was turned on before 9 a.m. or 5 p.m

Fortune said in a statement that the resort wants to get to the bottom of the incident. He added: “We are investigating this situation very seriously.”

This article was originally published on NBCNews.com

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.