The MO Capitol riot defendant is now a fugitive after failing to show up for his DC court hearing


A federal judge has ordered a bench warrant for a Missouri man who failed to show up for a probation violation hearing in the Capitol riot case.

Devin Keel Rossman, of the Independence Party, is now listed as a fugitive, according to court records. Rossman was scheduled to appear at 9:30 a.m. Friday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. The government said he violated several conditions of his probation.

“I haven’t heard from him,” Rossman’s attorney, Rhona Holloman-Hughes, said in an email to The Star on Friday evening. “If you do, I will ask him to turn himself in. This is unfortunate.”

Rossman, 40 years old, It was charged in May 2022 With four misdemeanors. he Admission of guilt in September 2022 to one count of parading, demonstrating, or picketing in the Capitol building. he He was sentenced in December 2022 to 36 months probation with an intermittent prison term and a $2,000 fine.

He was also ordered to pay $500 in restitution for damage to the Capitol and costs incurred by the U.S. Capitol Police, which prosecutors now say total about $2.9 million.

According to court records, Rossman entered the Capitol just minutes after the initial breach on January 6 and remained inside for approximately one hour and 53 minutes.

On November 15, the U.S. Probation Office filed a petition alleging that Rossman had violated probation by failing to pay required amounts for restitution; Use or possession of alcohol on September 19, 2023; Failure to notify the probation officer of a change in employment status; Failure to attend some required classes.

Rossman was complying with other “substantial” aspects of his supervision, the report said.

The Probation Office asked the court to issue a subpoena and set a date for a hearing. It was scheduled for Dec. 1, but Rossman’s attorney filed a motion to continue the hearing and allow him to attend virtually instead of in person. U.S. District Judge Beryl A. agreed. Howell complied with the request and rescheduled the hearing for January 5. But on December 29, the judge changed the hearing back to an in-person hearing.

Rossman’s attorney then requested another continuance, citing Rossman’s “ongoing financial struggles” and saying he needed time to make more cost-effective travel arrangements. Howell rescheduled the hearing for Friday.

But on Thursday, Rossman’s attorney filed a new motion, again asking the court to allow a virtual hearing instead of requiring him to appear in person. She said Rossman suffered a loss of income and several financial setbacks in recent months and was unable to pay for travel from Missouri to Washington.

The motion asked the court to authorize and direct a “U.S. Marshal to fund non-custodial transportation arrangements” for him to make the trip to attend the hearing if a virtual hearing is not an option, and to continue the matter with the court until such travel arrangements can be made.

Howell quickly denied the motion, noting in her order that Rossman’s request was “filed late, less than 24 hours before the scheduled hearing, which did not leave sufficient time to obtain any travel funding.”

She added that the session had already been postponed for three weeks so that Rossmann could travel economically despite the government’s objection. Howell said Rossman showed he was “clearly capable” of getting to Washington given he traveled there “to commit the criminal conduct on January 6, 2021, for which he was sentenced to probation.”

According to court records, Rossman walked around the Capitol once inside the building and eventually made it to then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office suite, a restricted area.

Rossman then “entered the House Speaker’s office suite and attempted to open the doors while the House Speaker’s terrified staff sought shelter under their desks,” took photos and bragged to friends in Facebook messages about entering the area, according to court documents. He also showed little remorse for his actions, the documents said.

Rossman discussed plans with others on Facebook “to bring firearms and knives into Washington, D.C.,” court records said.

“In one conversation, Rossman sent a photo of three knives and stated on January 5, 2021, that he intended to hide the knives, one for my shoe, one for my waist, and one for my pocket,” according to the documents. . “He also sent photos of the firearms he intended to bring to Washington, D.C.”

Rossman later told authorities that he ultimately decided not to transport these items to D.C

In a court filing before his sentencing, Rossman blamed former President Donald Trump, the right-wing media and other elected officials — including Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley — for spreading the “big lie” that led to his actions.

The document said Rossman was deceived by Trump and others into believing that Democrats rigged the 2020 presidential election.

“Prior to January 6, 2021, Mr. Rossman believed in good faith that the 2000 presidential election was being stolen by Joe Biden’s Democratic operatives,” the filing said. “President Trump then made this claim to the nation repeatedly and loudly from the 2020 election through January 6, 2021, and continues to press this claim today.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.