The death of a 65-year-old Jewish man during a pro-Palestinian march in Los Angeles has been ruled a homicide
Paul Kessler, a 65-year-old Jewish man, died of his injuries in hospital Monday morning after an alleged attack on a pro-Palestinian rally in Los Angeles on Sunday, US media reported. Fox 11. The Ventura County Sheriff’s Office said New release Medical examiners ruled Kessler’s death a homicide.
in Press Conference On Tuesday, Sheriff Jim Freehoff said, “The suspect was identified, remained at the scene willingly and was interviewed by deputies.”
“The suspect was cooperative and indicated he was involved in an altercation with Mr. Kessler,” Freehof added. The suspect further stated that he was one of the reporting parties who called 911 to request medical attention for Mr. Kessler.
As of Tuesday, no arrests had been made, Freehof said.
according to NBC NewsThe authorities investigating the murder refused to identify the suspect or classify the incident as a hate crime, saying they were still trying to determine the reasons that led to the dispute.
At approximately 3pm on Sunday afternoon, at the intersection of Thousand Oaks Avenue and Westlake Road, officers received information that a “fight was ongoing” with an elderly man who had reportedly “fallen down.” KTLA5.
the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles He said Kessler was carrying the Israeli flag when he was “hit in the head by a megaphone used by a pro-Palestinian demonstrator.” Authorities found Kessler lying on the ground, bleeding from his head, when they arrived at the scene.
Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles said Fox 11 In a statement, they are “heartbroken” and that their “hearts are with the victim’s family.”
“Violence against our people has no place in a civilized society. We demand safety. We will not tolerate violence against our community. We will do everything in our power to prevent it,” the statement read.
This story has been updated.