Biden says he has made a decision about responding to the killing of American soldiers in Jordan

0

President Joe Biden said Tuesday he has made a decision on how to respond to the decision Drone attack Which resulted in the death of three American soldiers and the injury of dozens of others at a base in northeastern Jordan.

As he left the White House on Tuesday morning, a reporter asked Biden if he had made a decision in response to the attack by Iranian-backed militants on Sunday. Biden replied: “Yes.”

Biden’s statements came after that He vowed revenge “Hold all those responsible accountable in a timely manner and in some manner.” [of] Our Choice” for the deadly attack that injured more than 30 soldiers.

When asked if he held Iran responsible for the attack, the president said he did so “in the sense that they are supplying weapons to the people who did this.”

attack This was the first American death at the hands of Iranian-backed militant groups in months Since the start of the war between Israel and Hamas on October 7. The explosives-laden drone exploded near a shelter where some soldiers were sleeping at a logistics support base in northeastern Jordan, two US officials told NBC News. US Central Command said on Sunday that eight of the injured had been evacuated from the country to receive high-level care and were in stable condition.

In a statement on Sunday, the Islamic Resistance in Iraq claimed responsibility for drone attacks on the Al-Shaddadi base in Syria, the Al-Rukban and Al-Tanf bases on the Syrian-Jordanian border, and the Zevulon naval facility in Israel.

It is unclear whether the Islamic Resistance in Iraq was responsible for the attack on American forces in Jordan.

In initial statements about the attack, Biden asked for a moment of silence at a South Carolina church event for the “three brave souls” who lost their lives in the attack.

“We will respond,” Biden said.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US response to the attack over the weekend could be “multi-layered” and “come in stages and continue over time.”

“We will respond, we will respond strongly. We will respond at a time and place of our choosing,” Blinken said during a joint press conference with NATO General Jens Stoltenberg.

National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Monday that Biden was examining his options for retaliation, and stressed that the administration “does not want a broader war with Iran.” Kirby added that the United States knew that Tehran supported armed groups in the region.

“We know that they provide resources and, in some cases, information that allows these groups to do this,” Kirby said during a news conference. Interview on the “Today” program on Monday morning.

“We take this seriously. We do not want a wider war with Iran. We do not want a wider war in the region, but we have to do what we have to do,” he added.

Members of the House and Senate are expected to receive classified briefings on the deadly attack on US forces this week.

Biden administration Orders for air strikes This month on Houthi rebels in Yemen who launched attacks on ships in the Red Sea and on other Iranian-affiliated militia groups whose attacks targeted US personnel and facilities in Iraq and Syria.

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have done so He called on the president to ask Congress To vote on a new authorization for the use of military force before taking further action.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.