Escaped prisoner Shane Pryor was captured by US Marshals after 5 days on the run


PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – The U.S. Marshals Service has taken over Shane Pryor, the 17-year-old escaped prisonerHe was taken into custody Sunday night in Philadelphia after spending five days on the run.

Shortly after 6:30 p.m., Pryor was taken into custody at 3rd Street and Roosevelt Boulevard, located between the city’s Feltonville and Olney neighborhoods, officials said.

“I’m glad he was taken into custody and is safe and now the focus can return to defending him in court,” Pryor’s attorney, Paul DiMaio, told CBS News’ Nikki Dementri in Philadelphia.

Just before noon on Wednesday, Pryor escaped custody from the Juvenile Justice Services Center. He was originally taken to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia due to a hand injury caused by accompanying staff, police said. When he got there, Philadelphia police said he ran away while getting out of the car outside the Philadelphia Hospital emergency department.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Robert Clark said the escorting personnel pursued the teen on foot and were “about an arm’s length away from him when they were unable to catch up to him.”

Pryor was seen in a surveillance video, released by the US Marshals Service, inside the Clinical Collaboration Center. Investigators said the escaped prisoner asked to use the phone, but an employee would not allow him to do so. They said he then left the building.

Before noon, the U.S. Marshals Service said Pryor used the phone to call 18 year old Michael Diggs After a woman on the street gave him her phone. They said he told the woman he had a fight and needed to call someone.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., Diggs picked up Pryor in the 3500 block of Civic Boulevard, according to US Marshals. They said the two drove off in a cream-colored Ford.

Less than an hour later, the two were seen at the corner of Macher Street and Godfrey Street, according to the U.S. Marshals Service.

U.S. Marshals surveillance video released Friday showed Pryor inside a corner store at the intersection. He was seen wearing different clothes than when he escaped. The U.S. Marshals Service said the two left the area around 2 p.m

Later that evening, Philadelphia police stopped the cream-colored Ford on East Logan Street and took Diggs in for questioning. U.S. Marshals said Pryor was not in the car. Diggs was later criminally charged with helping Pryor escape.

Pryor is awaiting trial for the murder of Tanya Harris in Philadelphia

Pryor and another defendant have been in custody since 2020 for a murder in the Holmesburg section of Northeast Philadelphia.

Investigators believe Pryor shot Tanya Harris in the head after he and another man tried to solicit sex from her on the night of October 10, 2020.

According to a probable cause affidavit in the case, Harris’ body was found in a gap in the alley behind a business on Torresdale Street near Shelmer Street just after 10 p.m. that night.

Investigators found surveillance footage from a nearby business showing the woman with a boy wearing a Gap-branded hoodie around 6 p.m., the court document said.

Then about 50 minutes later, the woman was seen on video with two boys in an alcove behind the business on Torresdale Street, the location where her body was eventually found.

About 10 minutes later, the two boys were seen running from the area, then returning later – apparently, to search it.

Police said Pryor was identified as the boy wearing the Gap jacket.

Five days later, he was stopped in the neighborhood and gave police officers a fake name before trying to flee.

Investigators said they later obtained permission from Pryor’s mother to speak with him.

Pryor told police he asked Harris for sex, but said another man, between 25 and 30 years old and dressed in all black, was the one who shot Harris. Pryor said he was not aware of the man’s name.

Investigators later found that the man Pryor was seen with in the surveillance footage was about 14 or 15 years old — not an adult.

The mysterious death of three Kansas City Chiefs fans who froze to death outside a friends’ house

The donut shop owner spent his childhood in a concentration camp

An AI-powered robot restaurant opens in California

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.