More than 400 Condé Nast employees staged a one-day strike to protest the layoffs

0

More than 400 employees at Condé Nast, the parent company of prestigious publications including Vanity Fair, Vogue and GQ, left their jobs Tuesday in a historic 24-hour walkout over the company’s plan to lay off employees.

The strike, which lasted all day, was deliberately timed On Oscar nominations dayin protest of what the NewsGuild of New York called “the illegal handling of layoff negotiations and bargaining in bad faith.”

Hundreds of employees were expected to join a picket line outside the company’s New York City headquarters that “will include an Oscar nominations-style treatment with a red carpet, ‘Step and Repeat’ and more to further highlight why these journalists are choosing to walk away.” The union said in a statement.

in The video was shared with X On Tuesday morning, protesting employees could be heard chanting: “Bosses wear Prada, workers get Nada!”

The protest comes after Condé Nast announced on November 1 that it plans to reduce its workforce by 5%. The company then revised the plan, announcing that it would lay off 94 union members, or about 20% of Condé Nast’s union. The union’s negotiating team opposed management’s proposal, offering fewer layoffs, more severance pay and a moratorium on cutbacks. The publisher’s latest offer, issued earlier in January, kept the total number of cuts at 94 and cut the proposed separation by nearly half, the guild said.

“The past three months of fighting for our colleagues on the company’s layoff list have led us to today,” Ben Dewey, vice president of Condé Nast Union’s CNE unit, said in a statement. “Our 24-hour strike is about standing firmly behind our colleagues and showing Condé Nast management in the clearest way possible that we will not tolerate their disrespect at the negotiating table over these layoffs. It is time to start bargaining in good faith with us.”

The NewsGuild of New York filed an unfair labor practice lawsuit on behalf of Condé Nast Union, citing regressive bargaining.

“Condé Nast’s media workers are key to the company’s success and outstanding reputation. They deserve respect for their work on the job and at the negotiating table,” Susan DeCarava, president of The NewsGuild of New York, said in a statement. Union went out of business today to remind management of their value and urge company representatives to bargain in good faith. We demand nothing less.”

A Condé Nast spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The layoffs are the latest to affect major news publications, with workers at the Los Angeles Times and Washington Post leaving their jobs in recent months in a preliminary test of layoffs and contract frustrations.

For more CNN news and newsletters, create an account at CNN.com

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.