Google CEO tells employees to expect more job cuts this year
(Reuters) – Google CEO Sundar Pichai told employees to expect more job cuts at the Alphabet Inc-owned company this year, The Verge reported on Wednesday, citing an internal memo.
Pichai said in the memo that layoffs this year focused on removing layers to simplify implementation and increase speed in some areas, according to the report.
The move adds to evidence that job cuts will continue this year, as companies look to adopt artificial intelligence and automation programs to ease workloads.
Pichai informed all employees in the memo that “these role reductions are not on the level of last year’s reductions, and will not affect every team.”
“We have ambitious goals, and we will invest in our biggest priorities this year.”
A Google representative confirmed to Reuters that an email had been sent to all employees, but declined to reveal further contents of the memo.
Last week, Google said it would lay off several employees in its voice assistant units, the hardware teams responsible for Pixel, Nest, and Fitbit, the advertising sales team, as well as in the augmented reality team.
In January 2023, Alphabet announced plans to cut 12,000 jobs, or 6%, of its global workforce. As of September 2023, the company had 182,381 employees globally.
(Reporting by Nilotpal Timsina in Bengaluru; Additional reporting by Rishabh Jaiswal; Editing by Sherry Jacob-Phillips)