Five candidates have qualified for the Republican Party debate in Miami, with Doug Burgum absent
The second Republican presidential primary debate hosted by Fox News at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, Wednesday, September 27, 2023.
Melina Mara | The Washington Post | Getty Images
Five candidates He will be on stage Wednesday night at the third Republican presidential debate in Miami, but North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum failed to make the first of two Republican debates this year.
The Republican National Committee said in a statement that former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, former Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, businessman Vivek Ramaswamy, and Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina all qualified for Wednesday’s debate. Meanwhile, former President Donald Trump is skipping another debate.
All five eligible candidates have met the Republican National Committee’s criteria, including amassing at least 70,000 unique donors and meeting minimum polling requirements (at least 4% in two national polls or one national poll and one early state poll meeting the committee’s requirements National Republican Party). Candidates also had to sign pledges, including one pledge To support the eventual nominee of the Republican Party.
Trump, who also skipped the first two debates, easily surpassed donor and polling requirements, according to an NBC News analysis. But he has so far refused to sign the party’s pledges, which he must do to qualify. He has held campaign or media events on his own during the past two debates, and is scheduled to hold a campaign rally on Wednesday as well.
NBC News is hosting the debate, which will be broadcast from 8pm-10pm ET on Wednesday from the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts in Miami-Dade County. The Republican National Committee also selected the Salem Radio Network and the Republican Jewish Coalition as discussion partners
“We look forward to our third debate in Miami, a welcome opportunity for our candidates to showcase our winning conservative agenda to the American people,” Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel said in a statement. “We are especially honored to be the first political party to partner with a Jewish organization to hold a debate in our partnership with the Republican Jewish Coalition, and our candidates will affirm the Republican Party’s steadfast support for Israel and the Jewish community on stage Wednesday night.”
The hurdle Burgum faced was the national polling threshold, according to an NBC News analysis of public polls, after he said last month that his campaign had met the donor threshold for the third debate. He has previously criticized the Republican National Committee’s debate standards as “club rules” and has indicated that he plans to stay in the presidential race through the early state contests.
“Skipping the next debate won’t stop us,” Burgum wrote in his article. “I’ve been told that’s impossible my whole life and I always overcome the odds.” Posted on social media Monday night, he added: “Now, DC insiders are trying to stop me from fighting for you! This won’t work. Party leaders don’t choose presidents, voters do!”
Burgum is one of the two candidates in the second debate He missed the stage this time and former Vice President Mike Pence withdrew from the race In a speech in Las Vegas last month.
Former Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson also missed his second consecutive debate with the Republican Party. He qualified for the first debate in Milwaukee but then failed to make the second debate in Southern California.
Another number Candidates who failed to make the last debates this year They have already withdrawn, including Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, conservative radio host Larry Elder, and Michigan businessman Perry Johnson.
This article originally appeared on www.cnbc.com